The Indian Society of Gastroenterology (ISG) had its inception in the year 1960,
and is registered under Societies Act, XXI of 1860.
It was accepted as scientific association interested in the development of research
and practice of Gastroenterology in the country by Director General of Indian Council
of Medical Research in September 1966.
Indian Society of Gastroenterology is a member of two International Societies:
- The World Organization of Gastroenterology (OMGE)
- The Asian Pacific Association of Gastroenterology (APAGE)
A decade ago, under the dynamic leadership of late Major General Amir Chand, the
birth of the society took place and he was elected the first President of the society
and H.K. Chuttani as the secretary, by founder members. The society began to work
to be in line with the progress of world Gastroenterologists. The founder members
reflected the lofty objectives to strengthen the common bond amongst Gastroenterologists
of India and so to share the axiomatic principle originally expressed by Louis Pasteur,
- Science belongs to no country because knowledge is the patrimony of humanity.
- The torch which enlightens the world.
- The society has grown in strength, reaching the figures of one hundred fifty.
Today ISG grown rapidly and have more then 2500+ life members, holds a national
conference and 2 mid-term conferences every year and publishes a high quality indexed
- To encourage and advance the knowledge and practice of the specialty of Gastroenterology
in all possible ways;
- To promote the exchange and diffusion of information and ideas relating to the alimentary
tract and associated organs;
- To provide a forum for discussion of Gastroenterological problems on a national
- To encourage scientific investigation in the field of Gastroenterology.
The members of the society have been responsible in organizing Gastroenterological
department in the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, and the Postgraduate
Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh and various other leading
Medical colleges throughout the country.
Our President Dr. S.J. Baker is connected with welcome research unit and is professor
of medicine at Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, under his able guidance
the society shall make a new mark in its history.
In short, Indian Society of Gastroenterology is well founded and nurtured to get
Let us in Chorus do all in our power to promote and sustain the ideals, objectives
and activities of the society, to benefit mankind at large. Society has no blocks
or water tight regionalism but has service motto for suffering humanity through,
research, discussions and dissemination of knowledge.
Let noble thoughts come to us from every side
For more details about ISG, visit www.isg.org.in